Ag: History at FCAHS
Forrest County Agricultural High School was established in 1911 to provide young boys and girls a school for training in the area of agriculture and home. Since then, it has become one of the most outstanding schools in the state. The campus has 320 acres with a pine plantation, hay field, pastures, recreational fields, and the main campus. The Agriculture Department is continuing a long tradition of providing hands-on experiences for the students attending FCAHS. Many changes have occurred over the years. The program today consists of a modern building with two large classrooms, computer lab, and shop with a tool room modestly stocked with hand tools. A new livestock barn was built recently to provide an opportunity for students to learn about livestock management. Located on the main campus is a greenhouse, small poultry house, and a hog barn. Farm equipment includes computers with internet access, welders, saws, oxy-acetylene torches, two tractors, hay equipment, and chemical spray equipment for students to use on the farm. Teachers use all these facilities and equipment for instruction and demonstration purposes.