Parent Tips

Help Your Child Succeed

High school students need their parents to be involved and interested in their education.

Provide a good place to study

Your child needs a place to study that is quiet, well-lit, comfortable, and has all of the necessary materials and resources for their studies.

Help your child set academic goals

At the beginning of school and each term help your child determine what grade he/she should be able to attain for each course he/she is taking. Help your child set realistic goals for him/her to work towards.

Attend all parent programs available

Our school has an “Open House,” “Subject Area Test Program,” “College Night,” etc. during the year. When you attend these programs as a parent, you gain valuable information about your child’s school, course and graduation requirements, and the opportunity to meet his/her teachers. More importantly, you send a message to your child that his/her education and the successes he/she will experience are important to you.


When your child misses school, he/she misses irreplaceable instruction and learning opportunities. He/she has missed class notes, lectures, activities, various assignments, and lab experiments, all of which are valued, relevant learning experiences. No matter how conscientious your child is to make up these assignments, he/she can never fully reach the learning experiences and opportunities due to his/her absence and inability to participate in the lesson. A parent who allows his/her child to miss on a day when the child is not truly ill sends the message that his/her education is really not important. If your child displays apathy, a negative attitude towards school, or is missing a number of days, consider contacting the counselors for assistance.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442 or email at

Indian Proverb: “It takes a village to raise a child.” We are in this together.